Knoppix is a operating system based on Linux runtime which directly run from the CD/DVD or USB flash drive this is one of its own kind.While loading knoppix is run through removable media and compressed into ram and on-the-fly.Although its run directly from CD it can also installed on a computer hard disk as a typical operating system It doesn't support multi-language, it support only English and German.
Knoppix live CD/DVD contents:
More than 1000 software packages are included on the CD edition and more than 2600 are included on the DVD edition. Up to 9 gigabytes can be stored on the DVD in compressed form. These packages include:
- LXDE, a lightweight X11 desktop environment, or KDE 3, a more feature-complete desktop which is the default for 5.3.1 and earlier releases.
- MPlayer, with MP3 audio, and Ogg Vorbis audio playback support
- Internet access software, including the KPPP dialer and ISDN utilities
- The Iceweasel web browser (based on Mozilla Firefox)
- The Icedove e-mail client (based on Mozilla Thunderbird)
- GIMP, an image manipulation program
- Tools for data rescue and system repair
- Network analysis and administration tools
- LibreOffice, a comprehensive office suite
- Terminal server
- Intel-compatible processor (i486 or later)
- 32 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 64 MB for graphics mode with LXDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various office products)
- Bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI)
- Standard SVGA-compatible graphics card
- Serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse
Knoppix get popularity due its live cd booting which is first one of is own kind distributions.
- Knoppix was one of the first Live CDs available, and is known as the "original" Debian-based Live CD
- Its extensive hardware detection allows most systems to start Knoppix without any configuration
- Its ability to automatically connect to most kinds of networks
- Its utilities for system repair and troubleshooting
A Great Way to Start Using Linux:
After using Knoppix several times now, you will finding Linux to be a refreshing alternative to MS Windows. Due to the ease-of-use of Knoppix, most notably it's lack of a need to install onto the hard drive, I think that Knoppix serves as an excellent starting point for Linux newbies like me.
It has certainly made me want to partition my hard drive and get a full installation of Linux. Judging by the rapid growth of the use of Linux these days, especially in industry, a familiarity with the operating system will become more and more important for all computer users for years to come, not just IT professionals.
You can download Knoppix by CLICKING HERE.